Sanctuary Nossa Senhora das Preces
This sanctuary is situated in Vale de Maceira and consists out of the main chapel in honour of A Nossa Senhora das Preces and 11 chapels representing the life of Crist.
In the middle of the sanctuary exists a beuatiful park with century old trees and fountains. The story of this sanctuay begins in 1371 when A Nossa Senhora das Preces appeared to some Shepherds on the mountain of Monte Colcurinho. Because of this appearence a chapel was build. The original chapel was destroyed by fire, so in the 18th century a new chapel was constructed. In the same century the other chapels were built, representing the life of Crist in paintings and wooden sculptures.
The top of Monte do Colcurinho offers a spectacular view over the region and is
well-known for this.
The people of Gramaca are particulary proud of their sanctuary and over recent years a lot of restoration has been done. The anual celebration is held in the first weekend of July.
The Village Piódão is situated in the Serra do Açor (protected landscape since 1982) and is one of the ten “Historical Villages of Portugal”, classified as an object of
Public interest sinds 1978. It is one of the 18 municipalities of the district Arganil, Coimbra and has na area of 36,36 km2 with 224 inhabitants (2001).It is a village with a typical disposition of a mountainvillage. The houses are build up against the mountain in a half cirkel facing south. The materials used are those that were at hand, namely slate, wood and clay. The contrast between the dark colour of the houses and the bright white colour of the church is one of the most distinguishing characteristics of the village.
The blue color of the doors and Windows is still na unsolved mystery. The story goes that this is due to the fact that the village is quite isolated and that the only store in town didn´t have any other colour. The division of the houses is also typical for this region. The groundfloor is for the animals and cattle, the middle floor for the people and the attic for storage of the produced goods such as beans, potatoes etc..
In the middle ages, probably in the XIII century, there was a little village up in the mountains, called Casas Piódão. This village was replaced to the current location because of the construction of a monastry of which, in the meanwhile, are no traces left.
The Parish Church
The parish church dedicated to “A Nossa Senhora da Conçeicão “, was build in the
XVII century and reconstructed at the end of the XIX century. The four round steeples ending in cones are very caracteristic. On top, in the midde is an image of the holy patron.
Museum of Piódão
Museum in which are shown the cutoms and traditions and the way of life in these old mountainvillages
Bobadela is a particularly beautiful village of the municipality of Oliveira do Hospital, with an area of 5,96 km2 and 761 inhabitants (2001). In the IV century D.C. it was an important roman city, a “splendidissimae civitati”, inscription found on a stone in the place.
Bobadela was at that time a city, or at least a big village. This is derivable from the big amount of worked stones, pilars and other objects found in the village and its “suburbs”. Inside the village still exists a magnificant roman arch, which probably hás been na entrance through the town-wall.
The importance of the city is better imaginable if we take into consideration the fact that at the time of the roman emperor Augusto it formed the economical and administrative center of middle Portugal, also because it was situated on the roman mainroad between south and north.
The mainchurch consisting out of three naves and also the chapel of Santo Cristo are very old as well. Before the restauration of the center of Bobadela there were worked stones (from buildings and graves ) lying around everywhere. There were also found a lot of stones with crosses on them which are thought to be the grave-stones of the killed knights in the portugese middle ages in the battle against the unbelievers and romans.
The continuous battles in the middle ages so strongly devastated the city that in 1750 there were only 78 inhabitants left. Nevertheless Bobadela is, also as a portugese city, quite ancient because in 1256 Dom Afonso III gave it its townrights that were renewed by Dom Manuel I in1513.
Untill the beginning of the XIX century was the center of the region and had in 1801, 634 inhabitants.
A perfect round arch from the II century D.C., that probably has been the entrance to a roman forum and is on the list of protected national patrimony. The forum must have had the same orientation as the anfitheater and in both builings we find the same building techniques. The backwall of the (actual) parish church, probably formed the northside of the forum and so formed a (closed) whole, with the arch as entrance.
In 1992, when excavations where done under the ”Casa do Adro” in front of the arch, there was found a structure of worked stones, which probably had been the foundation of a monastry.
The amphitheater of Bobadela has an oval arena of 40 x 50m. and is surrounded by a 3 meter high wall. The tribunes probably were made out of wood. The construction seems to date from the first century D.C..
In the contrary to what you might think, these modest dimensions make it a very interresting construction because just a few of these are known to exist. This particular amphitheater was not used for fights with animals etc., therefor it also doesn´t have underground galleries with hallways and cages. Because of this, it is also most unlikely that gladiator-fights were held here.This rare ampitheater was probably exclusively used for a variety of games, singing, dancing, concerts with the instruments of that time and religious gatherings.
In 2008 it was fully restored by the municipality of Oliveira do Hospital in agreement with the portugese institute of archaeology (IGESPAR)
Dolmen from the Early Stone Age
In the fourth century D.C. the romans had build an important city here, but in
“Pinheiro dos Abraços”, at about 2 km from Bobadela is a dolmen that proves human occupation of this area in the early Stone Age. The dolmen was discovered in 1966 and during the escavations were found a lot of arrow- and spear-heads, flint knives, stone axes and pottery.
The patron saint of this church is “Nossa Senhora da Graça” and was completely rebuild in the XVIII century ( in 1746 as inscripted at the entrance). During the rebuiling was discovered a granite altar from the XVI century, which now is placed on the leftside by the entrance. In the basis of the church-tower is a big granite stone with the inscription “NEPTVNALE”, which could have been from a temple devoted to Neptune.
Chapel of Nossa Senhora do Socorro
This chapel is situated in the village and belonged to an old private house, but is now belonging to the “Fundacao Aurélio Amaro Diniz” (a welfare institute). It was build in the second part of the XVIII century. The door is surrounded by doric columns, architrave and facade. The roof is made of a halfround arched bow. The altar from the XVII century, is formed by four turning pilars, decorated with stone-cut vine-leaves.
Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Luz
Build on a hill at the westside of the village. The entrance is preceeded by a porch supported by pilars. It was built at the end of the XVIII century. In the top of the door is inscripted: “EGO LUX IN MVMDVM VENI”. The altar contains a stone image of
“Nossa Senhor da Luz” from the second half of the XVI century.
Chapel os São Sebastião
On the top of the ”Monte do Crasto”-hill on the east-side of Bobadelastands a chapel in the honour of “Nossa Senhora de Guadalupe”. The oval place in front of it, is a remaining of a fort with walls build around the top the hill. I tis a simple chapel with a surrounded door. In the bottom of the cross is inscripted 1778. The wooden statue os São Sebastião looks gothic. The cylindrical pulpit stands on a (probably) old fundament.
The municipal museum António Simões Saraiva
The municipal museum is situated in an old manor-house with manualin windows, that was built in the beginning of the XIX cebtury. The collection consists of pottery from the XIX and XX century, furniture from the XVIII and XX century, paintings, plasture and marble figures and roman art.
Rua João Borges de Brito nº 4 –
OPEN Wednesday – Sunday 9:30 – 12:30 and 14:00 – 18:00